Author Topic: Electronic Vehicle Corrosion Control  (Read 12437 times)

nasmac

Electronic Vehicle Corrosion Control
« on: February 09, 2006, 01:18:55 pm »
Do any of you use this device? Iam looking into rust control for my new car but I really dont know if this works. I have in the past just used krown rust control at $100 a year....an oily spray on product that seems to work good.

The dealer says that krown rust control may give my car electrical problems, but as of now on my 2002 Taurus everything still ok.

Here is the link to the product the dealer wants me to purchase from them.   

http://www.ruststopnorthamerica.com/ruststop-kit.htm
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 07:20:13 pm by nasmac »

avtoller

Re: Electronic Vehicle Corrosion Control
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 01:31:18 pm »
My VERY STRONG gut reaction is "Snake Oil", but I would be very interested to hear any real information on this product. I have no need of it, of course, but am always curious about counter-intuitive marvels of "modern (pseudo)science".  ::)

UmroAyyar

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 02:04:57 pm »
Sounds like a device invented by Romulans.

Anti-Corrosion Force Field, ON!!!  :rofl2:

Panzer

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 02:43:01 pm »
Just wait to hear from articsteve about this: he's definitely pro-Krown and anti-dealer stuff.

I had the dealer stuff put on when I purchased my car to save some money and yearly trips to the shop.  Then again, what I put on my car was a lot more 'Krown-like' than what your dealership is suggesting, in the sense that a coating of sorts had to be applied/sprayed on.  Check it out at http://www.permaplate.com/

What your dealership is suggesting is a lot more 'mumbo-jumbo': electronic protection?  Sure, it could turn out to be true but I'd rather rely on a company with a long track record rather than one that's changed its name once during a span of 15 years...

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 02:46:41 pm »
This electronic corrosion protection question comes up every six months or so on this board, it seems.  Last I heard, it was a scam.  A search of this site should bring up all the previous discussions.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 03:19:56 pm »
Do any of you use this device? Iam looking into rust control for my new car but I really dont know if this works. I have in the past just used Crown rust control at $100 a year....an oily spray on product that seems to work good.

The dealer says that crown rust control may give my car electrical problems, but as of now on my 2002 Taurus everything still ok.

Here is the link to the product the dealer wants me to purchase from them.   

http://www.ruststopnorthamerica.com/ruststop-kit.htm

I would take a big PASS, thank you very much, on that item. If it turns out to be wonderful, you can always find a jobber to do it for less than the dealer will charge.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

claudster

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 03:27:58 pm »
 :iagree:
The electronic gizmo is borderline psuedo science. If you are shown pictures/given descriptions of the gizmo, be prepared to look at pictures of a battleship, or a large marine installation.
The dealer telling you that Krown may casue electrical problems is pure BS and he should be reported for making such a statement.

Panzer

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 03:32:43 pm »
The dealer telling you that Krown may casue electrical problems is pure BS

I'd agree on that one as well.  Krown's been around for years and there would be a LOT more people complaining if that were true.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 03:45:24 pm »
 ::)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 04:47:59 pm »
Electronic corrosion control works REALLY WELL on BOATS and WAter heaters!!!   NOT ON CARS.

The principle is that of the sacrifical anode so that a piece of metal such as zinc or magnesium destroys itself to preserve the steel or bronze ( boat propellers) that is to be preserved.  Water heaters, the ordinary Enbridge or hydro kind have a magnesium one to protect the steel container.    ( it is better NOT to use zinc in drinkling water)

Doesnt work on cars for various reasons.   many different metals, currents flowing through the metals far greater than the galvanic effect and...wait for it... the car is not submerged in an electrolyte such a water.    So in theory works, some cars now are galvanized.... this works as the zinc anode coveres everything but a single gadget does not work.

see the link below

http://www.answers.com/topic/galvanic-anode
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

nasmac

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 04:56:04 pm »
WOW   Just as I thought-----SCAM----

Thanks guys...... I'll stick with krown rust control
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 07:21:14 pm by nasmac »

canadianexpress

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 05:16:35 pm »
WOW Just as I thought-----SCAM----

Thanks guys...... I'll stick with crown rust control

Sounds like a good idea.  I have been talking all my cars to Krown with no problem.

avtoller

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 05:18:47 pm »
Thanks tpl. I was pretty certain, but it is nice to have real information.

barrie1

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 05:22:22 pm »
The Canadian military tried this out on a No. of types of equipment that is parked for long term storage. They don't use Krown or any other type of spray on stuff at all. It did not work very well at all. Keep the Krown going as it is the best there is. Damaging the wiring is BS for sure. Krown is also recognized by the used car dealers of Canada as being worth more on a used car. Up to $1000. per car more depending on the model at trade-in as well.  Brigitte is correct in that this has come up a No. of times in the past and its always the same answer. Save your money for the krown or other good product but not that one.  :)