Poll

Does this device really work or just another Dealer rip off?

rip off
17 (63%)
really works
2 (7.4%)
don't know
8 (29.6%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: SYM-TECH Electronic Rust Control Module  (Read 71802 times)

karlr

SYM-TECH Electronic Rust Control Module
« on: August 29, 2006, 11:51:20 am »
Has anyone heard of the Sym Tech Electronic Rust Control Module with patented pulsed current technology?  I just bought a new 2006 Pontiac Vibe and the Dealer is promoting it as the latest and greatest in rust protection for the promotional price of $699 - the cost of 7 Krown Treatments.  It has a lifetime guarantee, requires a free annual inspection, and can be move to my next vehicle when I decide to replace the Vibe.  Sounds too good to be true.  I am quite skeptical since I am unable to find any comparative information about this device even though they claim it has been used since the late 80's in other applications. I talked to the guy who installs the unit and he was not forthcoming with any information other than "It works".  Any information would be appreciated.

One more question, do the holes they drill at Krown void the manufacturers warranty?

Thanks in advance,
Karl

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: SYM-TECH Electronic Rust Control Module
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 02:48:17 pm »
Canadian ties has on for sale for $299(?)
try a search on if they are any good

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 05:14:44 pm »
There was aprevious thread on electronic anti corrosion.   The idea behind this gadget is the same as the sacrificial anode used in domestic water heaters and on boats.  You preserve that which you wish to preserve by destroying a metal that is "more negative".  Zinc is more "negative" than iron (steel) which is why mnore and more cars are galvanized now

look up wiki  corrosion protection and then drill through galvanic anode, sacrifical anode etc.

I dont think this gadget can work   unless maybe the car body is continually submerged in an electrolyte or that somehow a current is forced through the device.  It may be that if the battery ground lead is replaced by some part of this thing to get that current flow....
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

curls

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 05:19:17 pm »
One more question, do the holes they drill at Krown void the manufacturers warranty?

Thanks in advance,
Karl

Not unless your dealer is a complete jackass.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 05:55:04 pm »

The short answer is NO.

The long answer is this:  Manufactures do not warranty against surface rust.  That is what most ppl hate to see develop on their cars and makes them next to valueless for resale.  Manufactures warranty against holes.  You can drive any car manufactured today, untreated, around the road salt capital of the world, Owen Sound, and never develop "rust perforation" during the 7 or so years that is the typical warranty.  Consequently, the "manufacturers warranty" issue is moot.

Krown keeps the surface rust away and naturally the "rust perforation" along with it.  But what it also does is protect and greatly extend the life all the fittings, gas lines, brake lines and so on.  Coincidentally, I 'm getting a new Camry drilled tomorrow.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 11:31:34 pm »
To answer part of your question, yes, it is a dealer rip off.  Canadian Tire has one on sale for $299.99 plus $69.99 to install it.  Mind you, ours is guaranteed only for five years and does not include a free annual inspection.

Does it work?  I have no idea, but I'm skeptical.

barrie1

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 11:52:01 pm »
The Canadian Military tried a similar system out years ago with different peices of equipment which usually sits a lot outdoors.  The older type Jeeps and trucks were part of the test and they did not go any further with it as it really didn't do anything but cost them money. Get the Krown instead and you will be protected for sure.  :)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 12:22:00 am »
A friend of mine is a PhD in physics and he's also an electrical engineer.  I e-mailed him and asked him if this would work.  He sent me back the following long winded response...

>No.

avtoller

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 12:35:02 am »
A friend of mine is a PhD in physics and he's also an electrical engineer.  I e-mailed him and asked him if this would work.  He sent me back the following long winded response...

>No.

I think I would like your friend.  :thumbup: ;D

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 12:39:03 am »
Could work if you drive your car in salt water.  I think there are similar systems for ocean going vessels.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 07:53:04 am »
Anodic protections DOES work for boats/ships as it does for domestic water hearer tanks.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 08:15:33 am »
Anodic protections DOES work for boats/ships as it does for domestic water hearer tanks.

Indeed.  And that's why steel used in cars is galvanized...

However, anodic protection is not a 300 dollar electronic doohickey.  It's a glob of zinc.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 09:26:47 am »
yep  or magnesium depending on application  Domestic water heaters for example

kelli

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 09:38:41 am »
there's a sticker in my 02 Xterra's windshield that says SYM TECh and i have no idea what the fack it is. I'm assuming it's some sort of rust thing, but who knows.

sbmarti2

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 11:43:26 am »
From my experience with products like this, they all work to a certain degree, or they could not sell them.  I doubt it is as effective as they say it is though, as it seems overly complicated (to me at least).  Anyway, I'd just pay the seven krown payments, and undercoat the car.  Works well enough

avtoller

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 11:57:31 am »
From my experience with products like this, they all work to a certain degree, or they could not sell them.

??? ??? ??? Look at all of the "miracle mileage enhancers" which work not-at-all and have been sold for many years. Your statement reminds me of "well, they couldn't write that in the paper if it weren't true".  ::) :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 02:44:31 pm »
From my experience with products like this, they all work to a certain degree, or they could not sell them.

??? ??? ??? Look at all of the "miracle mileage enhancers" which work not-at-all and have been sold for many years. Your statement reminds me of "well, they couldn't write that in the paper if it weren't true".  ::) :rofl2: :rofl2:

Just like those "chips" I can buy on e-bay that promise an extra 35 HP with no impact on fuel economy (or anything else  :D ) for a mere $29.95!  But wait, there MORE!!!!  I have some very nice swamp land to sell you!!!   CHEAP!!!!!   

:rofl2:
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2006, 03:18:21 pm »
well some chips in some cars definitely can give you another 35BHP  and once the R&D is paid for  the actual ic cost is probably only 20cents

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2006, 04:36:24 pm »

Why not?  Because of consumer protection law?  Hahaha!

How would you EVER prove it didn't work?  If you got rust, they could make up a thousand excuses of why.

If such a simple device really worked, manfacturers would have rushed out to install them as options as THEY would want our money.

sbmarti2

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2006, 05:29:01 pm »
haha, well excuse me for having a bit of faith in human decency!

I suppose the wording I should use is that products that don't work in the slightest wouldn't last, as they're clearly a piece of crap.  However, the argument is that there are plenty of stupid people in the world.