Author Topic: Scan Gauge II Any Good?  (Read 10799 times)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
Scan Gauge II Any Good?
« on: January 17, 2007, 08:14:52 pm »
Anyone know of this?  (Mods please move if more appropriate in the Tech Section   ;) )

Seems like a good deal for what it does (cost about $200 CDN):

Web site: http://www.linear-logic.com/

There is a Canadian distributer:

The Gadget Garage
1900 Sismet Road
Mississauga, ON

Email: sales@gadgetgarage.ca

The Ultra Compact 3-in-one Automotive Computer
Scan Tool - Trip Computer - Digital Gauges
The integrated Trip Computer provides realtime feedback while simultaneously tracking three sets of trip data. The Digital Gauges give you realtime data for your vehicle and the built-in Scan Tool allows you to read trouble codes and diagnose potentially expensive problems before they get out of hand.
All this in a small and simple to install unit that can be easily moved from vehicle to vehicle.

2016 Subaru Forester XT

avtoller

Re: Scan Gauge II Any Good?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 09:22:18 pm »
People on one of the Echo/Yaris boards seem to think highly of it.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 09:25:07 pm »
They do on the Nissan truck Club site as well.  Just wish it did AT and transfer case temp readings (rather than just reading codes when things get too hot).

barrie1

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 12:01:20 am »
The same tool by SnapOn and others in the trade runs around $3000. plus the updated cards every year for the newer models of engines. If this serves your purpose for that low price then it should be a decent tool for the average person but I don't think it would stand up to trade usage.  :)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 12:32:00 am »
The same tool by SnapOn and others in the trade runs around $3000. plus the updated cards every year for the newer models of engines. If this serves your purpose for that low price then it should be a decent tool for the average person but I don't think it would stand up to trade usage.  :)

Thanks barrie, was not thinking of using it for a business, more curiosity and reading/resetting the odd code the Pathy throws at me.

Leviathan

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 01:18:46 am »
Anyone know of this?
I have one. Good display info and immediate fuel usage vs driving style feedback if you want. You can also see how much gas you actually have left instead of the dash guage "E"  :)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 09:20:04 am »
To "VERIFY" does it read "check engine CODES" on all cars???? and give an idea of
 WHAT the eff is 'wrong"?????? or is it just a TRIP COMPUTAH wif balls & whistles???? :-\
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 09:56:39 am »
To "VERIFY" does it read "check engine CODES" on all cars???? and give an idea of
 WHAT the eff is 'wrong"?????? or is it just a TRIP COMPUTAH wif balls & whistles???? :-\

What I can gather from their web site and the talk at NTC, it is a trip computer that can also display check engine codes.  There is no diagnostic ability, it just shows the code and you need a code list specific to your vehicle to troubleshoot the problem.  They post the user manual on the web site so I will download it and double check.

My issue is I have a cranky variable valve timing sensor on the Pathy.  It has been replaced once but seems to trip every couple of months or so.  And at $65 per read/clear code, the Scan Gauge could pay for itself rather quickly.  My cranky sensor only seems to malfunction momentarily, but it is enough to trip the light and just stays on.  So when I get the dealer or shop, all they can do is read the code and turn the light off, there is nothing else to diagnose as by then the sensor is working properly.

So thats my reasoning, if anyone has a better idea I am open to it   :D

Anyone know of this?
I have one. Good display info and immediate fuel usage vs driving style feedback if you want. You can also see how much gas you actually have left instead of the dash guage "E"  :)

Leviathan, does the above jive with what your experience is with the unit?  Thanks.

Offline yugrus

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 10:03:26 am »
I run the first version of SG and like it a lot.
I'm considering buying SG-II too, but then what do I do with my SG-I?..

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 10:08:31 am »
THAT is wot we are asking    give the piece a chance???? :P ??? :ttiwwp:..why is BRIGETTE Always fiddlin' wif MY GUAGE.....can't leave it aaaaaalone in NEW TOOLS
section???? :D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 10:22:24 am by safristi »

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 05:45:50 pm »
I run the first version of SG and like it a lot.
I'm considering buying SG-II too, but then what do I do with my SG-I?..

Give it to me?   :rofl2:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline yugrus

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 07:46:56 pm »
Give it to me?   :rofl2:

Umm... I'm not looking for easy solutions...
 ;D

barrie1

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 12:21:34 am »
Some models of the Caddies actually have this system built into the dash and is very easy to use. One of my cars has it and I really know how good it is as I have had this car for over 20 years now and it runs just fine.  :)

Leviathan

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 12:55:30 am »

Oh, it'll read & clear codes although I haven't had a need for that particular functionality with the Tribute. That is the "scan" part of "Scanguage"  ;D

Leviathan

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 01:06:12 am »
:ttiwwp:..
Ok, how about a blurry picture from a crappy cell phone:

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 10:56:12 pm »
Does it hook up to the OBDII port?  How is it powered?

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 11:03:18 pm »
Does it hook up to the OBDII port?  How is it powered?

Yes, hooks up to the port and is powered by the port, so no batteries to worry about.

I downloaded the manual (only 28 pages) and it explains everything quite well.  You can even have it send hexadecimal commands to the cpu on the car (assuming you know what the command is that you want to send).  Looks like a real good product at a reasonable cost.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2007, 07:26:54 pm »
Trainman.   Sounds interesting.   Would you be ordering one from the States or the Canadian distributor?   Would you know the Canadian distributor's price? 

I think I might be better off with a VAGCOM tool for my VW.  Not sure if VAGCOM will work on my Honda.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2007, 07:39:33 pm »
Trainman.   Sounds interesting.   Would you be ordering one from the States or the Canadian distributor?   Would you know the Canadian distributor's price? 

I think I might be better off with a VAGCOM tool for my VW.  Not sure if VAGCOM will work on my Honda.

Right now, you place your order with Linear Logic (on line or vis the 1-800 number), they then relay the order to the Gadget Garage who then ships from their stock.  So you pay the $170 in US$, so about $200 CDN, includes all taxes, shipping and customs.  Not a bad price.

Gadget Garage says that eventually they will be able to process orders directly but for the time being, this is the way (unless you go to their store and buy one directly).

barrie1

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2007, 07:40:22 pm »
I would contact the Maker and find out before I were to purchase any of these tools just to be make sure that the product can do exactly what you have need for it to do.  :)