Author Topic: Mazda3 owners with corrosion issues, join us here!  (Read 156305 times)

ZoomZoom Girl

Mazda3 owners with corrosion issues, join us here!
« on: June 10, 2008, 03:15:01 pm »
I am currently dealing with very serious corrosion and blistering paint on my 2004 Mazda3 Sport GT. Pictures and a more detailed explanation of my specific issues are outlined below.

I have heard through responses to my post (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=25439) from several other Canadians dealing with the same type of corrosion on their vehicles. In the vast majority of cases, their dealerships gave them the same response as I received, that Mazda Canada could not be held accountable (no "perforation" (i.e. hole through the body)) and therefore no compensation would be offered. To put this into perspective, I received estimates ranging from $1100 to fix just the rusted areas to $1800 to also address the blistering!

I am still awaiting the final word from my dealership as to Mazda Canada’s response to my complaint. Following that, I will be sending a registered letter to both Mazda Canada and to my dealership, along with all the pictures of my car (see here: http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a38/Bengalgirl/Mazda3%20rust/  Password is ZoomZoom).

I’d like to compile a list of other Mazda3 owners dealing with a similar situation in order to add weight to my argument that this is a recurring issue with these first generation models. If you would like to get involved in applying pressure to Mazda Canada to take responsibility for what is obviously a manufacturing defect, please sign up here. Or, if you would prefer, send me a PM.

If you have any before pictures of the corrosion/blistering, please email them to me! Once I get enough entries, I'll send these to get hardcopies made up, for submission to Mazda Canada.

Also note that I'd love to hear from ANY Mazda3 owners who have/had corrosion or blistering similar to what I outlined in my own case. If you had your case dealt with by your dealership under warranty, note that when you sign up. The whole idea is to send Mazda Canada an impressive (i.e. impossible to ignore) list of Mazda3s that have/had premature corrosion. I’ll get the ball rolling.

Name: Lynne M. Witty
City/province: Sudbury, Ontario
Year of car: 2004
Model: Mazda3 Sport GT
Color: Winning Blue
Current Mileage: 109 000 km
Corrosion damage: as outlined in this post

To give you a bit of background, I took ownership of the brand new car on June 30, 2004, hand wash weekly in summer months, and go through a car wash at least once per week in winter months. Therefore, from an ownership perspective, I have done everything humanly possible to maintain the paint on my car.

In 2006 I began to have rusting at the bottom of my rear passenger doors, as seen here:

I did bring it to the attention of my local Mazda Service Manager (Mid City Mazda, Sudbury ON) and he stated that it was due to rock chips, not covered under the Mazda warranty.

Last year I began to notice very serious rusting around both rear wheel wells and on the rear quarter panels. This is how it looks today:

When I dropped the car off last year for other servicing, before my 3 year/80 000 km new car warranty expired, I again mentioned to the Service Manager that I had a considerable amount of rusting and would it be covered under warranty? He said that he would “look into it” but never got back to me.

Last month I happened to be visiting my sister in Southern Ontario. There one of her friends, who works at a luxury car dealership, looked at the rusting on my car and noted “your paint is blistering all over”. I was shocked and upon closer examination, did find extensive paint blistering. It looks like this:

The very next day, Tuesday May 14/2008, I brought my car to my dealership and had the Service Manager come out to look at all the rusting/blistering. His very first question was “what is the mileage?” (108 000 km at the time) He then proceeded to inform me that all the damage was due to rock chips, understandable with that high mileage.

If you look closely at the blistering, several areas show zero impact points. Also, I have rust between both rear bumper seams, seen here:

Therefore, at least that corrosion on my car can NOT be blamed on rock chips and high mileage.

Note that I am NOT bashing the Mazda3 or Mazda Canada by pursuing this action. I do love my car in all other respects, with the very notable exception of the faulty paint/body panels. The core purpose of this thread and the list which I will send to Mazda Canada is to let them know that it is a very common issue and that their loyal customers deserve to be compensated for this manufacturing defect.

Thank you!

Lynne
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 12:35:05 pm by ZoomZoom Girl »

Online Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: Mazda3 owners with corrosion issues, join us here!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 03:34:10 pm »
I have some rust inside the rear wheels wells/inside of the rocker panel. I noticed some minor spots on the outer painted area too, but they seem wipe out with a dump towel. I also noticed some rust on the bottom of the rocker panel were the hoist arm goes underneath the car. The area gets chipped after each dealer visit despite my efforts to remind them to be careful and touching up the chips after that.

My car, 05 Mazda3 GT Sedan, is Grey Mica so it's quite hard to see the rust (one of the reasons I picked the color). I purchased the rustproof warranty when I bough the car and I'm planning to exercise that as soon as I get a chance to hand wash my car and assess the extent of the problem. I wouldn't set my expectations too high with Mazda since it's not perforation so no warranty coverage. Like I said, I'll put the rustproof warranty to test and see how it goes.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 04:00:55 pm by carcrazy »

ZoomZoom Girl

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 03:37:26 pm »
Actually, my major issue is with blistering/bubbling.  That may be due to corroding sheet metal pushing up through the paint (i.e. perforation).  However, you're right that some Mazda dealerships stick to the "no hole, no warranty" line though I think I have a pretty good case with my car.  The pictures are really dramatic and clearly show what I'm refering to by sheet metal rusting.  Link to my pictures now posted!  Here is a shot of some of the bubbling:

« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 01:31:12 pm by ZoomZoom Girl »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 03:45:54 pm »
When I was looking to buy a used Protege5 a few years ago I noticed that some relatively new cars had rust pretty dramatically in spots, like around the emblem on the back hatch, while other examples rusted hardly at all. Maybe that same problem (water-based paint issues? poor primer adhesion? recycled batch of steel?) continued on to some early 3's.

ZoomZoom Girl

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 03:51:09 pm »
When I was looking to buy a used Protege5 a few years ago I noticed that some relatively new cars had rust pretty dramatically in spots, like around the emblem on the back hatch, while other examples rusted hardly at all. Maybe that same problem (water-based paint issues? poor primer adhesion? recycled batch of steel?) continued on to some early 3's.

The same type of rusting was also seen on some generations of Mazda6.  Not sure if you can call it a "Mazda" problem or indicative of Japanese-made cars.  Apparently some cost cutting may have been happening and the sheet metal was not adequately treated with rust proofing on some models/generations....

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 06:20:40 pm »
Wow am I sorry to read this. I have seen some really surprising early rust on Proteges but was hoping that things have improved with Mazda 3. If a 2004 that is washed often and sprayed with Krown every year is rusting that is not good at all.

The 3 sport was on my short list as I am looking for a 5 door hatch or small wagon. I think Mazda is now off my shopping list.

I have a 1997 1.6 Acura that I get sprayed every 2nd year. Granted it only have 98,000 Kms but there is not a speck of rust on it anywhere. No paint failure at all. And that is driving in Montreal. Bad roads and lots of salt.

I only hope Hyundia is doing a better job with their newer cars (therir older models rusted badly and had paint issues) as I am waiting for the new Elantra Touring 5 door to come out. It might be the car for me.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 09:39:42 pm by slybry »
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 06:28:47 pm »
I have noticed quite a few P5's and a very few 3's with rust on them, and I'm quite surprised.  Our 88 626 rusted, but not until after 10 years old.  I know some makers have had problems with newer environmentally friendly rust proofing, perhaps Mazda is among them?

Our 01 Forester is developing a teeny bit of corroision in the inside lip of the wheel well, but it has been basically shot peened by driving on gravel roads.  It's held up better than I though based on where the thing has been driven.  So, I don't think it's a "Japanese car" thing at all.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 06:36:42 pm »
The P5 I recently purchased has some minor rust appearing in the wheel wells. It also had some rust on the rear emblem area. We got that fixed a month ago.

This is for sure a Mazda problem. Our past Hondas/Toyotas don't have this problem at all (at similar age).

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 11:23:09 pm »
I admire your tenacity but in a legal sense Mazda knows that there is nothing that can force them to repair these cars. 

ZoomZoom Girl

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 09:46:49 am »
Wow am I sorry to read this. I have seen some really surprising early rust on Proteges but was hoping that things have improved with Mazda 3. If a 2004 that is washed often and sprayed with Krown every year is rusting that is not good at all.

The 3 sport was on my short list as I am looking for a 5 door hatch or small wagon. I think Mazda is now off my shopping list.

I have a 1997 1.6 Acura that I get sprayed every 2nd year. Granted it only have 98,000 Kms but there is not a speck of rust on it anywhere. No paint failure at all. And that is driving in Montreal. Bad roads and lots of salt.

I only hope Hyundia is doing a better job with their newer cars (therir older models rusted badly and had paint issues) as I am waiting for the new Elantra Touring 5 door to come out. It might be the car for me.

Thanks.  I'm pretty sorry to see my car in this state too!  Hopefully I can post pictures soon so everyone here can see what is occuring (I think I'm post #4 now and need 10 so getting there!) 

I wouldn't discount the Mazda3 from your list.  In all other respects, it is a fantastic car.  Driving it is a dream and for the money, there are alot of features and interior comfort.  Aside from the (ok, major) issue of rust, I am not sorry I bought this as my first car.

However, having said that, currently rust is happening on 2004 and 2005 models (from my list).  I haven't a clue is the same will happen on the more recent years, only time will tell.  If it were me, and I still wanted to buy a Mazda3, I would do so fully knowing that rust MAY be an issue.  I'd inspect the car at all the problem areas (rear wheel wells, rear bumper seams, bubbling more difficult to see as this requires a very clean car and a sunny day) and get it into my dealership the second anything shows up....

ZoomZoom Girl

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 09:48:40 am »
I have noticed quite a few P5's and a very few 3's with rust on them, and I'm quite surprised.  Our 88 626 rusted, but not until after 10 years old.  I know some makers have had problems with newer environmentally friendly rust proofing, perhaps Mazda is among them?

Our 01 Forester is developing a teeny bit of corroision in the inside lip of the wheel well, but it has been basically shot peened by driving on gravel roads.  It's held up better than I though based on where the thing has been driven.  So, I don't think it's a "Japanese car" thing at all.

Yes, pinning down the exact issue is next to impossible.  Alot of "experts" tell me my damage is due to corroding sheet metal, not the paint.  How many Mazda3s are impacted is impossible to predict as well but time will tell.  The most important thing, in my book, is how Mazda responds to the deluge of customer complaints that is now building...

ZoomZoom Girl

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 09:50:30 am »
The P5 I recently purchased has some minor rust appearing in the wheel wells. It also had some rust on the rear emblem area. We got that fixed a month ago.

This is for sure a Mazda problem. Our past Hondas/Toyotas don't have this problem at all (at similar age).

I've read alot of complaints of similar issues on pretty much all popular makes of cars.  However, the numbers of Mazda3 (and Protege) owners complaining of rust in the same areas and bubbling also in the same areas can't be coincidental or attributable to "normal wear and tear".  Very frustrating from an owner's perspective!

ZoomZoom Girl

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 09:54:30 am »
I admire your tenacity but in a legal sense Mazda knows that there is nothing that can force them to repair these cars. 

Well that's the whole point in my list.  If enough Mazda3 owners decide to participate and I can send in an impressive number of complaints (not really sure what that would be at this point), then Mazda would be forced to recognize that this a common issue. 

Also, the second frustration I have (other than my 4 year old car turning into a rust bucket) is that some owners in Canada ARE getting the cost of their repairs coverd by Mazda Canada.  Alot are not.  There is no uniform response to the same complaints.  I've seen the pictures and the rust looks the same, in the same areas.  Same goes for the bubbling.  Some people go into their dealerships and have their claims handled immediately, without fuss.  Some (like me) go in and get told "oh, it's all rock chips and due to high mileage).  At least if everyone were being treated the same, that would be one thing....

JBrill

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 11:27:48 am »
I would almost say that this has been a perennial problem with Mazda and a reason I won't buy Mazda again.

I've owned both a 1993 Protege and a 2001.  Both suffered terribly from premature rusting within 5 years of ownership making it difficult to sell them.  On the 1993, when I finally traded it in in 2006, the dealer said it's only use would be as a flower pot  ::)

The 2001 was another story.  Rust started appearing at to bottom of the door within 2.5 years even after "rust proofing" (I'd supposedly learned my lesson with the 93).  I finally got rid of it in 2007 at a significant loss compared to going market value.  Luckily I made up for it by buying my next car stateside  ;D

Nope, Mazda is more than likely never going to be on my list of future vehicles.

ZoomZoom Girl

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 11:33:34 am »
I would almost say that this has been a perennial problem with Mazda and a reason I won't buy Mazda again.

I've owned both a 1993 Protege and a 2001.  Both suffered terribly from premature rusting within 5 years of ownership making it difficult to sell them.  On the 1993, when I finally traded it in in 2006, the dealer said it's only use would be as a flower pot  ::)

The 2001 was another story.  Rust started appearing at to bottom of the door within 2.5 years even after "rust proofing" (I'd supposedly learned my lesson with the 93).  I finally got rid of it in 2007 at a significant loss compared to going market value.  Luckily I made up for it by buying my next car stateside  ;D

Nope, Mazda is more than likely never going to be on my list of future vehicles.

Wow!  Can't say that I blame you after TWO bad experiences.  I'm very aware that the value of my car is taking a nose-dive with the rust.  Not looking forward to the day I have to trade it in! 

Still debating on whether I should get the rust fixed and unload the car immediately (since rust is very hard to eliminate completely), or if I should drive it until it dies altogether.  The engine, etc. run great (mostly since I'm in the dealership every 4 months for servicing and run synthetic oil), so there's no reason to believe the car won't last a really long time.  Of course having the body rusting around me is also a major safety concern since the integrity would be compromised, so that's another thing to consider....

JBrill

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 11:39:49 am »

Wow!  Can't say that I blame you after TWO bad experiences.  I'm very aware that the value of my car is taking a nose-dive with the rust.  Not looking forward to the day I have to trade it in! 

Still debating on whether I should get the rust fixed and unload the car immediately (since rust is very hard to eliminate completely), or if I should drive it until it dies altogether.  The engine, etc. run great (mostly since I'm in the dealership every 4 months for servicing and run synthetic oil), so there's no reason to believe the car won't last a really long time.  Of course having the body rusting around me is also a major safety concern since the integrity would be compromised, so that's another thing to consider....

The only way to "get rid of it" would be to physically replace all the panels and that would be expensive.  If you have no morals  :-\, touching it up and passing it off to some other sucker might be a solution   :-[

ZoomZoom Girl

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 11:41:49 am »
The only way to "get rid of it" would be to physically replace all the panels and that would be expensive.  If you have no morals  :-\, touching it up and passing it off to some other sucker might be a solution   :-[

[/quote]

Yeah, that's pretty much the conclusion I've come to from reading others' experiences.  Unfortunately (for me), I'm way too honest to pass off my little rust bucket to someone else without full disclosure.  Darn!   :-X

Online Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 01:22:58 pm »
Another choice is to drive the car to the ground or at least 8-10 years and fix it periodically, if needed, to slow down the rust. After that time, most of the cars will show some rust anyway and all will be even.

I’ll support you (and me) although the rust on my car is negligible compared to yours. I just don’t see how it can be properly fixed. The only way to replace the affected metal part in the wheel wells is to cut a piece of the rear quarter panel, which is the last thing I would like to do on my car. I’d rather like to have it patched (clean up the rust, treat the metal with rust inhibitor, paint, spray some tar, etc.) although the rust will show up again in a couple of years. One other concern is that it seems to be very hard to work on the car due to poor access as the rust is coming from behind the meal lip around the wheel well (behind the body panel).

BTW: As I walked through the parking lot this morning I looked at four 04-05 and Mazda3’s and they all showed rust in that area.

ZoomZoom Girl

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 01:27:50 pm »
Another choice is to drive the car to the ground or at least 8-10 years and fix it periodically, if needed, to slow down the rust. After that time, most of the cars will show some rust anyway and all will be even.

I’ll support you (and me) although the rust on my car is negligible compared to yours. I just don’t see how it can be properly fixed. The only way to replace the affected metal part in the wheel wells is to cut a piece of the rear quarter panel, which is the last thing I would like to do on my car. I’d rather like to have it patched (clean up the rust, treat the metal with rust inhibitor, paint, spray some tar, etc.) although the rust will show up again in a couple of years. One other concern is that it seems to be very hard to work on the car due to poor access as the rust is coming from behind the meal lip around the wheel well (behind the body panel).

BTW: As I walked through the parking lot this morning I looked at four 04-05 and Mazda3’s and they all showed rust in that area.

I actually have a forum member on Toronto Mazda3 putting flyers on affected Mazda3s, asking the owners to contact me.  Believe me, I do look at all Mazda3s I see but, thus far, the rust only appears to be showing up on 2004 and 2005 years.

I'll have to give this situation alot of thought.  As mentioned before, I love the car in all other respects and want to keep it for several more years.  However, having to deal with very expensive rust repairs just isn't in the budget and the compromised safety of the vehicle is also a consideration....decisions, decisions.  Hopefully Mazda Canada does come through on this initial repair anyways.

Think I can post my links to my pictures now.  I'll give it a shot since I'm now at 10 posts...

Online Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 01:56:20 pm »
I didn't noticed anything on my car last summer either - two times during the summer I wash my car by hand, thoroughly check out the body and touch up the paint.
Another change for me was that the Mazda spent most of the last winter outside. First two winters she spent the night in the garage and the day in a covered parking; this may be a factor too.